Work Permits

All minors who wish to work, must have a valid work permit issued by their school of residence, including during summer months. Once students have graduated from high school OR turned 18 (whichever comes first), they no longer need a work permit.

How do I know if I'm qualified to have a work permit?

  1. You must have good attendance (no more than 6 absences (excused or unexcused) from any 2 classes)

  2. You must have good grades (no failing grades and at least a 2.0)

  3. You must have also a social security number to indicate that you have the legal right to work in the United States.


For more detailed information about qualifications for a work permit, please see District AR 5113.2(Work Permits)

How can I get a work permit issued during times when the school is closed?

We are encouraging each family to reach out to potential employers to determine what safety measures they have in place to keep their employees safe from COVID-19, as well as determining if you feel the potential benefits of working outweigh the potential risks of exposure.

  1. If you and your family feel it is safe and appropriate for you to work, please complete the application for a work permit.

  2. Scan or take a photo of your completed work permit, with the parent and employer signatures completed to your school site as follows:  a photo or scan of your parent/guardian photo id (e.g, drivers license) must also be included and email it to *  Tonya Robnett - Robertson [email protected] at LGHS or Bradley Ward [email protected] at SHS.

  3. Once the permit is completed, it will be returned to  you to deliver to give to your employer. 

All summer work permits will expire 5 days after the start of the new school year. If you plan to continue working in the fall, you will need to renew your permit following the same procedures once the school year resumes.

What if I have 2 or more different jobs?

  1. You need to have a separate work permit for each of your jobs because your permit is specific to your employer. Each employer must have a copy of your work permit on file where you work.

  2. Between all of your jobs, you are not allowed to work more hours than specified by law for a student of your age.


How can I get a work permit issued or renewed during the school year?

  1. Print this application (double sided or staple both pages), or pick up a blank form, outside the textbook office.

  2. Please be sure you have completed your contact information including your social security number. Your employer section must be completed and signed by your employer and your parent or guardian must sign the parent consent. Turn it in to the textbook office once it is complete.

  3. Please allow at least 24 hours for your permit to be issued.

  4. You can pick it up again in the textbook office the next day.


What if I've graduated from high school but I'm not yet 18?

  1. Once a minor is no longer subject to the state’s compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state’s child labor laws and is not required to obtain a work permit (LC Section 1286[c]). California’s compulsory school attendance law requires a person to attend school until he/she is eighteen years of age, or has graduated from high school, or has passed the High School Proficiency Examination.

  2. However, under federal law (29 CFR Section 570.121), Certificates of Age are required for all employed minors under the age of 18 which may be satisfied with the top portions of the work permit application (CDE Form B1-1) (5 CCR Section 10120.1). source:

If you still have questions, please Tonya Robnett-Robertson at Los Gatos High School and Bradley Ward at Saratoga High School during the regular school year.