Seal of Civic Engagement
The Seal of Civic Engagement is an award for students who have demonstrated excellence in civics education and participation, as well as an understanding of the US Constitution, the California Constitution, and the democratic system of government by satisfactorily meeting five set of criteria. Who is eligible to apply
High school students in grades 11 or 12 during the 2023-2024 school year who meet the eligible criteria.
Earning the Seal of Civic Engagement
- Recognize students who have demonstrated excellence in civics education & participation
- Earn an insignia on the student’s high school diploma
Eligibility Criteria for 2023/2024 School Year
- Participate in a project or participate in a project with another group/agency to address a real-world problem. Project should require 40 hours of participation (in the course of student's high school enrollment) and increase awareness with the intent of making a positive difference in the community.
- Complete self-reflection that demonstrates civic knowledge, skills, & dispositions.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from an adult who is familiar with the student’s involvement and impact on issue.
- Earn a grade of “C-” or better in World History, US History, and US Government equivalent courses.
- 2.0 GPA or met Individualized Education Plan (IEP) goals.
- Select a project or participate in a project with another group/agency to address a real-world problem.
- Log 40 hours of participation on this Civic Engagement Project Log.
- After the project is finished, complete this Project Reflection Questions Worksheet
- Ask an adult who is familiar with the project to write a letter of recommendations describing the student's involvement and impact on the project/issue. Letters of Recommendation must be submitted by the recommending adult here.
- Complete & upload documents into the Application Form by February 16, 2024.