Skip To Main Content

Seal of Biliteracy

Seal of Biliteracy

In awarding the Seal of Biliteracy to outstanding young leaders, LGSUHSD seeks to encourage students to:

  • Encourage students to develop biliteracy skills;
  • Recognize and honor the rich and diverse language assets at LGSUHSD;
  • Revitalize and promote world language instruction in LGSUHSD schools;
  • Encourage the development of dual language immersion programs and foreign, native, and heritage language programs in schools; and
  • Provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills.

Selection Criteria

Students wishing to receive the Seal of Biliteracy Award must meet the following requirements:

  • Successful completion of all high school graduation requirements, including successful completion of all English Language Arts requirements, with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in those courses, and
  • Score of 3 or 4 (met or exceeded standards) on the English Language Arts SBAC (Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium) Assessment. Students who opted out of the SBAC will not be eligible for the Seal of Biliteracy in their senior year.
  • And one of the following must be met:
    • A score of "3" or better on the AP (Advanced Placement) exam for a foreign language.
    • Successful completion of the District's approved four-year course of study in the same world language, receiving an academic grade of "A" or "B" per semester (or "Credit" for Spring 2020).
    • SAT II (600 or better in a language other than English)

English Language Learners

If the primary language of a grade 0-12 pupil is other than English, they shall do both of the following in order to qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy:

  • Attain an overall proficiency level of a 4 on the most recent ELPAC assessment.
  • Meet the requirements above

Student Notification

Students who qualify to receive the Seal of Biliteracy will be notified by their school during the spring semester. Any student who believes they qualify, but has not been contacted, may contact an administrator at their school site.


For more information, contact your high school world language teacher, counselor, or the Curriculum & Instruction department.