As part of Superintendent Bob Mistele's updates to the community, he will periodically provide updates regarding Measure E to keep the public informed about our progress. These updates can be found by clicking here.
Information about significant milestones, decisions and events will be posted here...
- February 28, 2017 - Measure E update re: SHS projects, including Bond history
- January 17, 2017 - Contract awarded to Flint Builders for the LGHS Classroom/Music wing
- January 17, 2017 - Measure E update re: LGHS projects, including Bond history
- September 27, 2016 - Measure E update presented; reporting lower than anticipated issuance costs, resulting in savings of $1,600,000.
- September 6, 2016 - Measure E Update presented
- May 10, 2016 - Draft Calendar for issuance of Measure E, Series 2 bonds
- April 19, 2016 - Awarded LGHS turf project to Astroturf; reviewed revised pricing summary
- April 19, 2016 - Shared plans to fund artificial turf replacement over time.
- March 29, 2016 - Citizens' Bond Oversight Committee presented their Annual Report, verifying that all expenditures are within the language of Measure E.
- February 23, 2016 - Project Update - Architect renderings of classroom/music buildings
- February 2, 2016 - Board of Trustees help fund Town of LG Traffic Study
- December 15, 2015 - Approval of CEQA Categorical Exemption for the LGHS Lower Fields Project - Report Issued
- December 8, 2015 - Project Update/prioritization
- December 8, 2015 - Field turf discussion continues
- November 17, 2015 - Beginning discussions re: field turf options/LGHS
- September 29, 2015 - Project Update
- In September, completed the LGHS baseball and multi-use fields project
- In September, completed the SHS portables for use by the CASSY and Assist programs and the Testing Center
- In September, completed the LGHS football and track project - the first home game was played on the field on September 25th.
- In August, opened the LGHS temporary portable classrooms
- In July, began work on the LGHS temporary portable classrooms
- In July, began work on the demolition of SHS Building H to make room for the new Music building; began work on the SHS portables to provide space for CASSY, Assist program and the Testing Center
- In June, began work on the SHS softball and Multi-use fields project
- In June, began work on the LGHS baseball and Multi-use fields project
- In May, began work on the LGHS football field and track project
- On May 12, the Board of Trustees approved the demolition of Building H at SHS, a first domino in the timeline for the construction of the Music Building and an agreement with Cleary Consultants to begin the necessary geotechnical testing in preparation for the Summer 2015 athletic field projects.
- On May 12, the final agreement with McGuire Hester was posted. Additional information regarding the project description, from the Lease-Leaseback contract included Exhibit B - Site maps.
- On March 31, the Board of Trustees approved the Los Gatos and Saratoga High School Lighting Projects, for which Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declarations were prepared in Accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act, and Adopted a Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program. It should be further noted that the LGHS lower fields were removed from this item and will be subject to further discussion.
- On November 20, 2014, the Board of Trustees reviewed a variety of delivery models for Measure E projects.
- December 9, 2014 - The Board of Trustees approved a contract with Kramer Project Development to provide Construction Management services for identified bond projects.
- November 21, 2014 - The Final Official Statements for the sale of Series A bonds and the refunding of the 1998 bonds is at http://emma.msrb.org/IssuerView/IssuerDetails.aspx?cusip=545540
- October 21, 2014 - The board adopted Resolution 14-13 Authorizing the Issuance of a first series of 2014 Bonds (Series A and A-1) in the amount of $45 million - Work is underway and our schools will benefit from your support!
- October 21, 2014 - The board adopted Resolution 14-02 Certifying the Election results for Measure E; that Measure E was approved by more than 55% of the votes cast - THANK YOU!
- September 29, 2014 - The board heard a proposal to refund the 1998 bonds (previously refunded in 20015) which will result in a savings of $3 million to our taxpayers.
- The Bond Oversight Committee will provide independent citizen oversight to ensure accountability and transparency. The application is available here.
- Late August 2014 - The historic front steps at LGHS will be restored. Years of wear and tear have taken their toll and had resulted in both safety and aesthetic issues, both of which will be rectified.
- August 12, 2014 - Contracts with Aedis Architects, HMC and Verde Design were approved by the Board of Trustees, beginning - the first step for various projects, including the new classrooms, music and multi-use facilities at LGHS, the new music/cafe/theater facilities at SHS as well as various athletic facility projects at both campuses. Information regarding these contracts can be found at http://lgsu.csbaagendaonline.net/cgi-bin/WebObjects/lgsu-eAgenda.woa/wa/displayMeeting?meetingID=339
- Early August 2014 - work is underway at SHS on HVAC - making for a more comfortable learning environment for our students.
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires the posting of the following documents specific to the Measure E athletic projects in our district. Documents will be posted as they become available:
- SARATOGA HIGH SCHOOL CEQA DOCUMENTS:
- LOS GATOS HIGH SCHOOL CEQA DOCUMENTS:
YES ON MEASURE E - HOW WE GOT HERE...
Now that Measure E has passed – thanks to the hard work of our campaign committee and the support of our community, we wanted to take a moment to review the process we went through to identify...more
Last night, the voters in our community approved Measure E – a bond measure that will provide us with $99 million to upgrade, expand and renovate our school facilities. This success was the result of the hard work of so many of you – making phone calls, participating in the initial needs assessment process, getting the word out and attending board and design team meetings.
On behalf of the Board of Trustees and our staff and especially our students, I want to thank each of you for the support and confidence your “yes” vote demonstrated. Measure E will:
- Make essential repairs and update classrooms, including science labs and educational technology for 21st century learning
- Provide facilities for key programs
- Provide additional classroom space to accommodate increased enrollment
- Ensure our campuses are safe and accessible
As we move into the next phase of the bond process – the implementation – we will be posting updates here. I encourage you to stay informed and in touch with any comments or suggestions as we go forward.
Our schools are an integral part of the community and we’re excited about the opportunity to provide the best possible educational experience for our students and facilities that support the needs of, you – our community.
As the 2013-2014 school year draws to a close, I want to thank you for all you did to make this happen and, just as important, for all you do every day for our schools and our students. See you in 2014-2015!
Bob Mistele, Superintendent
The Los Gatos - Saratoga Union High School District Board of Trustees is considering a possible General Obligation Bond for the June 2014 election to address several facility needs, including much needed repairs, maintenance, technology upgrades and additional classroom space for a projected enrollment increase of 200 students.
As part of the initial exploration, the District has contracted with EMC Research, Inc. to conduct a poll to determine community support, both for a possible bond measure and for specific areas of need. The survey results were presented to the Board of Trustees at the October 1, 2013 Board Meeting.
The Executive Summary - Facility Master Plan was presented to the Board of Trustees on February 4th, 2014. However, the following documents also provide an overview of project focus areas and needs:
Resolution #13-19 was passed on February 25, 2014, indicating the district's intention to place a General Obligation Bond on the June 3, 3014 ballot. The Resolution also provides a summary of potential projects, identified during the facility needs assessment.
Additional information regarding a potential General Obligation Bond to address facility needs was mailed to the community in February.
Q. Why is Measure E necessary for our local high school?
A. Saratoga and Los Gatos high schools are sources of community pride. Students in Los Gatos, Saratoga, Monte Sereno and portions of the Santa...more
GENERAL OBLIGATION BOND, 1998
As we invite the community to learn more about the upcoming General Obligation Bond, Measure E, we wanted to share some information that provides a context and historical perspective.