Open Enrollment, Intra-District Transfers Available for Both SHS and LGHS
Applications for open enrollment, intra-district transfers will be available beginning February 4th, 2013!
Each year, the Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District seeks to provide enrollment options for students who live within our attendance area, specifically through our open enrollment process. Open enrollment offers a student who resides within the attendance area of one of our district high schools the opportunity to apply for a transfer to the other high school.
For the 2013-2014 school year, the open enrollment process is available for students who reside within either the Los Gatos High School attendance area or the Saratoga High School attendance area and wish to request an intra-district transfer to the other school. The open enrollment period for the 2013-2014 school year will be from February 4, 2013 through March 1, 2013. A limited number of spaces will be available and, should demand exceed supply, a random, lottery process will be used to select those students who will receive a transfer. Applications will be available only at the LGSUHSD district office at 17421 Farley Road West, beginning on February 4th, and must be turned in no later than March 1, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
If you have any questions, please contact Paula Wessels in the Student Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, in accordance with Board Policy 5116.1, students residing within the Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District’s attendance boundaries will be offered an open enrollment option, as allowed by school capacity and enrollment. For the 2013-2014 school year, this means that students residing within Los Gatos – Saratoga Union High School District’s attendance area who wish to attend a school other than their school of residence are being offered the opportunity to apply for a transfer.
If you are interested in having your student participate in the open enrollment process for either Los Gatos or Saratoga High Schools, please note the following:
- To be considered for open enrollment, applications must be submitted during the designated open enrollment window. The application form must be obtained, completed, and returned to the District Office between February 4 and March 1, 2013 (by 4:00 p.m. at the latest).
- A limited number of spaces will be available for open enrollment. Should the number of requests exceed spaces available, the district will establish a random selection process and build a waiting list for students not approved for transfer.
- Transportation to and from the requested school will be the responsibility of the parent.
- Applicants should investigate athletic eligibility issues since California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) school transfer regulations may affect a student’s eligibility to play sports; and
- If a student changes school based on an open enrollment transfer the transfer will be in effect from the time of its approval through the student’s graduation from high school, providing the conditions noted on the application form are met and district residency is maintained.
It is also important to note that under current state law and District Board Policy (BP 5116.1), an open enrollment application may be denied for any one of the following reasons:
- Actual student enrollment at a school may not fall below or exceed previously established guidelines.
- Open enrollment should not significantly change the ethnic balance of any school.
- No student currently residing in the attendance area of his/her assigned school shall be displaced from his/her assigned school by pupils transferring from outside the school’s attendance area.
- Students exercising their option to transfer to an alternate District school must provide their own transportation.
- A request to attend a District school other than the school of residence may be denied based upon documented misconduct by the student at another District school.
- Applicants not selected during the open enrollment process may not appeal the determination unless it can be demonstrated that there is good reason to believe the random and unbiased selection process was not conducted properly.
We look forward to working with you and wish your student great success while with the Los Gatos - Saratoga High School District. If you have any questions you may contact the District Office, Student Services Division at (408) 402-6323 or refer to our website: www.lgsuhsd.org.
March 1, 2013 Deadline: It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to make sure the application has been received by the District Office. The District is not responsible for any application that is not received by 4:00 p.m.
March 15, 2013 Notification: Letters indicating approval, denial, or placement on a waiting list will be mailed to all applicants. Students whose applications are approved will receive instructions regarding enrolling in the school requested.
March 18-29, 2013 Enrollment Deadline: Upon receipt of an approval letter, parent/ guardian may enroll student at their requested High School. Any student not registered at said school by March 29, 2013 by 4:00 p.m. willhave their open enrollment approval revoked.